View Our Catalog
Join Our E-Mail List
Sign Language Studies
American Annals of the Deaf
1. What things in the Mayos’ house show that they are deaf? Why do you think
Laura uses her voice sometimes?
2. What are the sources of conflict between Laura and Matt? What does Laura
3. What do you think the significance of light is in this story?
4. The narrator of this piece presents the normality of their situation yet she
playfully makes fun of what newspaper reporters would see as unique or
“newsworthy” if she were to leave. What perceptions of deafness is she
skewering? Of gender?
5. How does Stremlau incorporate social networking and communication tools, and
to what effect?