View Our Catalog
Join Our E-Mail List
Sign Language Studies
American Annals of the Deaf
Your Deaf Child: What Every Parent Should Know
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR DEAF CHILDREN TO WRITE
Technological advances are making it imperative that deaf children learn to
write and read to a greater extent than ever before. Many of these changes
affect the way the way deaf people live, because having the ability to make use
of these technologies is necessary if they wish to optimize their career and
social potential. These technologies include
- Teletype communication (TTY). This is a keyboard that has a built-in coupler
that allows a person to type messages over the phone line to someone else who
also has a TTY.
- Message relay centers (MRC). Message relay centers allow a deaf person to use
a TTY to talk to someone who has a phone but not a TTY. An operator at the
center is contracted who then dials the phone number required and uses either
type or voice to convey the message that the two parties exchange with each
- Closed captioning. This enables the captions of TV and video programs to be
shown and thus allows printed access to the speech and sounds on the programs.
- Distance education. Classes and workshops are taught via videoconferencing.
These classes typically make use of writing on overhead projectors.
- Virtual universities. An increasing number of colleges and universities are
offering courses on-line. People who take a course this way need to be able to
write because they usually have to submit papers and assignments via their
Internet connections; participate in classroom, on-line, real-time discussions;
and respond to their instructor’s queries.
- E-mail. E-mail is rapidly becoming society’s medium of choice for social
interactions outside of personal contact. Even among hearing people, there are
significant numbers who prefer e-mail to the phone.
- Internet. One aspect of the Internet can be likened to an extension of the
shopping mall. Everything from airfares to cars and homes can be bought on the
Internet. To do so, however, a person is required to be able to ask questions,
respond to queries, and fill in forms correctly while on-line
- Alphanumeric pagers. These devices, only slightly bigger than a regular pager,
are rapidly gaining in popularity and will soon be as ubiquitous as the cell
phone. They allow a person to send and receive phone and e-mail messages by
typing on a miniature keyboard.
Is Punctuation Important?
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, and
thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior.
You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings
whatsoever when we are apart. I can be forever happy—will you please let me
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, and
thoughtful people who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior!
You have ruined me. For other men I yearn. For you, I have no feelings
whatsoever. When we are apart, I can be forever happy. Will you please let
me be? Yours,